Stew is a winter favourite. Full of seasonal vegetables and soft, tender meat, this recipe makes the perfect midweek meal to keep you warm and cosy, with rich meaty gravy to wake up your taste buds.
With slow cooked beef or lamb, this is a winter warmer for the whole family. This recipe works wonders with lamb breast or diced stewing beef – we’ve given you the times and temperatures for both
Your choice of meat
- 1 whole lamb breast
- 500 grams stewing beef
For the stew
- A selection of chopped seasonal vegetables of your choice
- 3 beef or lamb stock cubes (depending on what meat you are using)
- 3 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- Gravy granules (if needed)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Set the water bath to 65˚C for lamb breast or 55˚C for diced stewing beef.
- Place the meat items into a pouch and season lightly with the dried Italian seasoning.
- Vacuum seal the pouches, being careful not to draw any liquid into the pump. Place the pouches in the water bath and set the timer for 24 hours.
- Keep checking the water bath to make sure the pouches are immersed under water and are not overlapping.
- Once the meat is almost cooked, cook the vegetables to your liking and pop in a large cooking pot.
- Once the lamb or beef is cooked, remove from the water bath and open the pouches, saving the juices from the meat.
- Place the juice in a jug and add two stock cubes. Add some boiling water at this stage if the sauce is too thick for your liking. If it is too thin, then add another stock cube or some gravy granules.
- Cut up the lamb breast or beef and add to the pot with the vegetables.
- Pour the gravy over the top and mix in well, heating it through until piping hot.
- Serve with a delicious crusty bread roll or creamy mash potatoes.
Chill & save for later
- You can save portions for later by cooling the pouches straight from the water bath, placing them into an ice bath then refrigerating.
- For beef, heat the water bath to 50˚C and place the pouch in the bath for 45 minutes to an hour. Repeat the final steps of the recipe by cooking the vegetables and finishing the stew.
- For lamb, heat the water bath to 60˚C and place the pouch in the bath for 45 minutes to an hour. Repeat the final steps of the recipe by cooking the vegetables and finishing the stew.